Thursday, April 21, 2011

At The Foot of The Cross

Easter, a time when many are frantically running around purchasing last minute items to throw in their children's Easter basket, assuring the sugar coma goes off without a hitch and families gather together for church and celebration. Don't get me wrong, I'm currently munching on one of the many mini chocolate eggs that were graciously given to me today. But, it's more, it is so much more than chocolate bunnies and cute frilly outfits donned on little girls and giant (and scary I might add) adults dressed in bunny costumes. It's about Christ, the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

 
Yesterday, as I journeyed through the stations of the cross, a beautiful exhibit at my church, I humbly experienced Jesus in the hours leading up to His death. As I prayed, read scripture, contemplated the immense price that was paid because of my sins, I must admit, I could hardly maintain my composure. With beautiful music exploding in the background, scents of frankincense and myrrh filling my lungs, scripture flashing on the projector screens, the echo of the hammer pounding nails into the cross as people drove their sins, fears and concerns into a cross set up as the last station, I wept. As I knelt at a bench across from the Garden of Gethsemane, it hit me; just how human He really was. Scripture says, He was sorrowful, His soul was sorrowful to the point of death. It also says: "And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39). As I sat on this bench, hearing the echo of the nail driving into the cross behind me, I pictured Jesus on His knees scared and crying out to God to let this cup, this cup being the wrath of God on mans sins, MY SINS, pass if it be so, yet fully willing to take it, I was speechless.

I sat there for what seem like hours but was instead minutes, contemplating the countless times I ask God to let things pass from me. The times of fear and uncertainty at what lies ahead, the times of frustration in waiting, the remembrances of the past and even the guilt of things I obviously had yet to release to the cross and I just thought to myself, none of that compares to the cup that was placed on the back of Jesus that day.. None of them. And while I know that He cares about my hopes, my dreams and relieves my fears and doubts, I was reminded to accept the cup that I have been given, or the cup that has yet to come, in the grace of knowing the one that I will never receive-because it was taken for me.

I don't know about you, but having that reminder gave me an incredible sorrow and yet and astounding peace. Three words changed everything. It is finished. (John 19:30 ESV)
Indeed it is. Thank you Jesus.

 Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment





Through Their Eyes







Munchkin Land Designs
Papers by Laura Deacetis